Phase III - Expertise in Practice
Phase III consists of two activities and a debriefing session. The first activity is an interprofessional team observation and reflection activity, that students complete prior to the Phase III session itself. This activity should be completed on their own time, after having observed an interprofessional team interaction during their rotation or community-based training experience. This activity provides students with an opportunity to individually reflect upon the importance of good teamwork, communication and collaboration skills, based upon their observations in the practice setting.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions, or if you would like to know more.
Are you a student participating in Phase III?
The Phase III experience will build on your knowledge of roles/responsibilities, interprofessional communication and teamwork in the practice setting. It will also allow you to practice working on your individual skills in a simulated interprofessional activity with your peers, and reflect and debrief with a faculty facilitator in a group setting.
Please review the Phase III components detailed below and follow the step-by-step guide provided. The pre-work assignments will help to frame the team interactions and observations you experienced through a lens focused on interprofessional collaboration and team-based care, which will, in turn, help you to improve your own teamwork skills as you work toward becoming a collaboration-ready health care professional!
Phase III Components:
- Online Pre-work: Two online forms must be completed prior to participating in the in-person component of Phase III.
- IPE Activity Form: This interprofessional observation and reflection activity tool provides students with a clear assignment that helps them to increase their awareness and understanding of teamwork and collaborative care as they are actively participating in clinical rotations or field experiences.
- Advanced IPE Escape Room Intention Questions: This survey will help students to consider what individual skills or learning objectives they might have for themselves when participating in the interprofessional escape room activity.
- In-person Interprofessional Debriefing Session: held on the Twin Cities, Duluth and Rochester campuses (See upcoming dates on the Interprofessional Events Calendar). Each 2-hour Phase III debriefing session includes:
- Advanced Interprofessional Escape Room activity (see description at the top of this page)
- Interprofessional Debriefing and Discussion
- Online Assessment & Evaluation: Three online forms will be used to assess student learning and evaluate the effectiveness of Phase III.
- Self-assessment (ICCAS)
- Evaluation (End of Activity)
- Advanced Escape Room Evaluation
Step-by-Step Guide to Phase III
Once you are notified by your school/program that your rotation will include a Phase III interprofessional requirement, please complete the following:
- Register for your interprofessional debriefing session on the campus of your choice.
- Before your interprofessional debriefing session takes place, log into the 1Health interprofessional data management system using your UMN x.500 and password, click on the ‘My Current Curriculum’ tile, and then complete the two required Phase III Pre-work forms – the IPE Activity Form and Advanced IPE Escape Room Intention Form.
- Attend the Phase III debriefing session and participate in the Advanced Interprofessional Escape Room activity as well as the faculty-led debriefing and discussion.
- Complete Phase III assessment and evaluation forms in the 1Health interprofessional data management system.
Register for a Phase III Interprofessional Debriefing Session
Follow the instructions below to register for an interprofessional facilitation training session. We have scheduled the Phase III debriefing sessions to occur at regular intervals on the Twin Cities, Rochester and Duluth campuses for your convenience. You will be given the option to select your preferred debriefing session date/location within registration page.
Step 1 - Click here: https://1health.ahc.umn.edu/phase3-registration
Step 2 - Select school/program and preferred debriefing session, then click 'Sign Me Up'
Step 3 - Log into the 1Health database with UMN x.500 and password - this will complete the Phase III registration process
Once a student is registered for a Phase III debriefing session, the student will receive an email reminder two weeks prior to the session date with instructions for completing Phase III pre-work, as well as the specific date, time and room location for the debriefing session and escape room activity. The 1Health team will also send a follow-up email to students one week prior to the session for which they are registered.
Questions regarding Phase III registration? Please contact email@example.com.