Are you a FIPCC small group facilitator?
Welcome to 1Health! As a facilitator for the Foundations of Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration (FIPCC) course, you will be assigned to an interprofessional group of 30-35 students. In this role, you will facilitate discussions and exercises to demonstrate the importance of effective communication and collaboration in the health care environment. This introductory course provides students with the background they need to develop their interprofessional communication and collaboration skills. Thank you for contributing to this important effort!
FIPCC is a hybrid course that includes both online modules and small group meetings. The small groups will meet five times during fall semester. During these small group meetings, students are expected to participate in discussions and exercises that help demonstrate the importance of effective communication and collaboration in the health care environment.
On each “FIPCC Friday” in fall 2018, your small group will meet from 1:30 – 3:30 PM:
- 9/21/2018: Teamwork, Roles, & Responsibilities
- 10/12/2018: Wellbeing & Resilience for Healthcare Professionals ONLINE SESSION
- 10/26/2018: Teamwork & Communication
- 11/2/2018: Teamwork & Leadership
- 11/16/2018: Ethics & Professionalism
- 11/30/2018: Health Systems
FIPCC 2018 Facilitator Recruitment:
University of Minnesota is committed to providing interprofessional learning opportunities throughout the Academic Health Center. In keeping with this commitment, we work with many dedicated AHC faculty facilitators, community facilitators as well as advanced AHC student facilitators to facilitate interprofessional discussions and hands-on learning activities for this Phase I course.
To check your availability for upcoming FIPCC dates, please review the course schedule found at the top of this page.
To ensure FIPCC facilitators are prepared for FIPCC small group discussions and exercises, each facilitator is highly encouraged to attend one of the in-person interprofessional facilitation training sessions.
Please review the FIPCC 2018 Facilitator Overview - applicable to faculty and student facilitators.
As a FIPCC facilitator, you will be given customized access to the AHC 1Health data management system. Throughout the FIPCC course, this database will allow you to:
- View course assignment information
- View facilitator guidebook
- Access your small group information and assigned meeting room location
- Track student attendance
- Provide valuable course feedback
- Access your personalized IPE Portfolio
Note: You will be asked to log into the AHC 1Health data management system using your UMN Internet ID (x.500) and password. (If you are a community-based facilitator, please email email@example.com for instructions about how to set up a UMN Guest ID.)
Facilitator Training Sessions
Overview: To ensure facilitators are prepared to facilitate the FIPCC small group discussions and exercises, each FIPCC facilitator is encouraged to attend an in-person interprofessional facilitation training session to supplement the materials provided in the FIPCC facilitator guide. During the in-person training sessions, facilitators will gain a deeper understanding of the skills needed to create a rich interprofessional education experience and how to successfully facilitate hands-on learning activities that are part of the FIPCC course.
- Create a successful, meaningful interprofessional learning experience for University of Minnesota health professions students
- Actively promote respectful, collaborative interactions and cultivate a learning environment that invites and includes all perspectives in course discussions and exercises.
- Facilitate discussions that provide students with an understanding of interprofessional education and collaborative care, and why it is important in our transforming health care environment.
- Facilitate discussions that allow students the opportunity to consider and work through challenges that relate to their future roles as health care professionals
- Facilitate discussions and exercises that demonstrate the importance of the interprofessional competencies addressed in the course: 1) Roles and responsibilities, 2) Teams and teamwork, 3) Interprofessional communication, and 4) Values and ethics.
Training Session Dates
FIPCC Facilitator training is held three times prior to the start of the FIPCC course, and we encourage all facilitators to attend either in person or to watch via livestream. For those who cannot attend, a recorded version will be posted to this website for viewing at a convenient time.
- Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 3:00pm - 5:00pm | Location: Room 2-690 Moos Tower, Twin Cities (in-person and livestream available)
- Monday, September 10, 2018 - 4:00pm - 6:00pm | Location: Room 2-690 Moos Tower, Twin Cities (in-person only)
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 12:00pm - 2:00pm | Location: Room 2-580 Moos Tower, Twin Cities (in-person only)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
If you have additional questions or would like to learn more, please contact email@example.com.